Wednesday, June 20, 2012

These are the Slovaz Chronicles



Slovaz! Who is Slovaz? New album! where and when!!!!!!

Bloggers note:
Well let me tell you this now, I used to watch Yizo Yizo back in the days, a series on SABC 1. Set in a township, It was rough and terrifying encompassing themes of  rape, murder, prostitution, abuse and  HIV/AIDS but never the less popular amongst South Africa’s youth – well my generation anyway hehehe….
Today I have had the pleasure of meeting one of Yizo Yizo’s characters, Slovaz ( the gangster in the gritty drama series with a tattoo on his six-pack)- well except this time he is not a gangster but a humble family man and  qualified engineer.


 Check out Slovaz's Music Video, "Ubuntu" below. Love it!

The Slovaz Chronicles

Slovaz, aka Khaya ‘Kicky’ Khumalo is a well known actor, singer and songwriter. He is launching his latest CD album, “The Slovaz Chronicals :Ubuntu Bami" produced by the legendary Gabi le Roux. He also collaborated with well - known songstress Lindiwe Suttle on this album.

Ok guys take 5 now and think back to Mandoza’s super award winning hit Nkalakatha!  Yes that golden track! Well that’s Gabi le Roux from Kaleidosound.
Slovaz was actually born Steven Kicky Khayelihle Khumalo in the infamous township of KwaMashu in Durban. The name Slovaz emanated from the character in the television series “Yizo Yizo 3”, namely Ria's thugged-out goon with a tattoo on his six-pack
Whilst he has kept part of his past identity, notably still showing the tattoo of his name carved across his midriff, Slovaz is passionate about his faith, being a born-again Christian that worships at Rhema Bible Church in Randburg, Johannesburg.
Slovaz’s return to music marks the end of a sabbatical that also included recuperation from an accidental gunshot that narrowly and miraculously missed his heart.


Slovaz says, he feels like his life has a meaning now that his dreams are being realized. He says that it’s such a fulfilling experience to see them taking shape.


Q &A with Slovaz

Who were your musical heroes when you were growing up?
Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Roberta Falck, Tupac, Dr DRE just to mention a few.
Creatively they were on point and their music is timeless, as well was always top notch and very relevant. These are qualities that I am constantly trying to improve about myself. 

How would you describe your approach to the current album?
With the current album the approach was entirely different, I had to let go of everything I thought I knew. I never thought I could do it. The album is diverse and it encompasses different genres in one project. It was time to do something new and different from my usual township rap tunes, it was time to grow and allow for input from other highly creative people like Gabi Le Roux. it is time to also reveal my singing skills.

What do you think the message of the album is?
I think that each song touches on issues relevant to now. Ubuntu Bami  is music with a message.This is me Slovaz the son, the brother, the husband, the colleague and most of all Slovaz the father who wants to nurture the youth. This is the legacy I want to leave for the youth of South Africa.’

How did the gunshot incident influence your life?
 I value my life more; I am not made out of steel. Death is not a far off thing, especially when ones lives a reckless lifestyle.

What's in store for 2012?
The Slovaz Chronicles: Ubuntu Bami. 
I think my fans will love and support the album. I believe that through my music i can make a difference in people's lives in 2012
It is my deepest wish to touch people’s hearts with the beauty of my GOD given gift, to share my thoughts and emotions creatively through song, it has always been my wish from ever since I could remember, and there is so much more I want to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment